Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 416B Volume Displacement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    ...

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 416B Volume Displacement

    Are you looking for the Vas or did you find it?
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    296
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 416B Volume Displacement

    I've got an answer for you but it isn't accurate.

    I used the volume of a cone (non-truncated) when I was figuring out cabinet volumes and came up with 206 cubic inches. I'm sure that isn't less than correct because there is space between the frame, exterior mounting reduces the height of the cone, and the woofer is a truncated cone. It's probably in the ballpark.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: 416B Volume Displacement

    Quote Originally Posted by westend9 View Post
    I've got an answer for you but it isn't accurate.

    I used the volume of a cone (non-truncated) when I was figuring out cabinet volumes and came up with 206 cubic inches. I'm sure that isn't less than correct because there is space between the frame, exterior mounting reduces the height of the cone, and the woofer is a truncated cone. It's probably in the ballpark.
    FYI: this value is listed in the far right column of the T/S specs under Vid [ft^3], though apparently only for behind baffle mounting and some vary a bit from those listed in the '68 manual, so YMMV: http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ure/page04.jpg

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 416B Volume Displacement

    Thanks GM, that's a very useful chart.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: 416B Volume Displacement

    You're welcome!
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 416B Volume Displacement

    The OP was accidentally sent before it was compiled. I must have hit the send button when I got up to deal with the burnt toast and the smoke alarm. I didn't get to complete the post. Good replies to it, guys.

    I needed the driver displacement volume to find the internal volume of my cabs. GM, I have copy of the document you linked to but couldn't find it. I will take a copy.

    Anyhow, I put a 416B on the bench and measured the elements that would displace air in the cab when it was mounted on the back of a baffle.

    I calculated approx. 400cu.in/0.23cu.ft.-close enough to 0.25 cu.ft.
    For front mounting it is approx. 275cu.in./0.16cu.ft.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member diagnost50's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 416B Volume Displacement

    Hello. Who can knows. How to receive the bottom bass of 20 hertz or still below from cabinet Altec 816. I have I driver Altec 515b. I shall build cabinet 816

  9. #9
    HB Super Moderator
    416B Volume Displacement


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 416B Volume Displacement

    Quote Originally Posted by diagnost50 View Post
    Hello. Who can knows. How to receive the bottom bass of 20 hertz or still below from cabinet Altec 816. I have I driver Altec 515b. I shall build cabinet 816
    You can't with that cabinet,wrong driver too.If you want to go lower use the 416.The Lowest you can get usable frequency I think with the 816 is maybe 50 Hz but closer to 80 Hz I think.

    http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...%20Cabinet.pdf

    If I may,I see your a new member Welcome to the board. Start a new thread ! We don't want to Hi-jack Marshall's thread !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.